Tuesday, July 26, 2011

How Satisfied Are You at Work?


My niece Lyn, once asked me about Job Satisfaction. As I write this, I am sending the reply to her as well.

People may define Job Satisfaction differently, depending on one’s perspectives. This may also be depending on one’s priorities, influenced by the person’s present situation. For example, a poor man needing to feed a family of six who have gone hardship to find the job may feel satisfied already being an ordinary sales clerk because his priority is to sustain his family’s primary needs. After a long time, when he feels like his situation finds it harder to send his children to school, that’s the time he finds another job with a higher pay, and so on and so forth.
I oftentimes recognize that job satisfaction is influenced by the job expectations, what I look for or require from a job such as job security, compensation & benefits, pride, etc. I enlisted my basis in Job Satisfaction below, according to its importance:
1. Compensation & Benefits (Pay) – Again, the situation affects my priority. Being a single parent and a bread winner, I need to have a job with a higher pay available. Yes, “money matters” especially these days but it won’t always guarantee satisfaction.
2. Good Relationship with Co-workers & Boss – People need people as they say. You cannot survive alone. I find myself spend time laughing with officemates MORE than working. Don’t get me wrong, this is not literally—you laugh more because you’re happy with what you do. Laughing is the best medicine they say, it heals boredom and stress.
3. Job Security – How secure the Company is. You won’t invest time with a company that you think might not last for the next couple of years.
Being happy is satisfaction itself. This accompanies clear mind, thus planning ahead and having goals which inspire you to work harder. How competitive and confident you feel to yourself adds life. This is all because you are happy with what you do. I once read a passage that “Loving what you do means you don’t have to work a day in your life.” This means work is not “work” for you but an enjoyable journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment